Monday, July 28, 2008

"Something to be proud of?" AND "The Comeback Kids"

Something to be proud of?
So, I was just reading on Yahoo that a Bush Administration official says that the debt in 2008 will be the biggest yet. Um, did I miss something? Why is this a stat to be proud of? It's like DC saying, "We only had 10,000 gang related murders this year! Hooray!" I guess we can only count the days until January 20th when we swear in Obama and move on from the detrimental policies of this failed administration. And with Obama looking oh-so- presidential and opening up at 9 point lead on the other guy, November can't come fast enough!

The Comeback Kids
Recently the New Kids on the Block (NKOTB for those who know!) launched a major comeback with tour dates (Who would they tour with? Would they be one again an opening act? Aren't we all a little too old?), performances on the Today show, a new CD, music videos etc. I couldn't help but think about the days when I was super in love with Jordan Knight and how it was also great to be graduating from 8TH GRADE and going to high school. If I had only known then that the buttons and dolls I owned were going to be coming back as a 40 y.o boy band, I would have saved it all to sell to unknowing fans in fron of NBC.

Of course this is comeback is also shared by the well-hyped return of 90210, that OTHER force of the 90's that arguably defined some adolescents, and still gets good show on SoapNET, not that I TiVo it or anything. Now, the ORIGINAL fans of both of these items are like what 30+ now? But of course 90210 and NKOTB are trying to appeal to the younger audiences of today with more steam and sleeze than Mrs. Walsh and Mrs. Martin care for. My question: will the Miley Cyrus' of our time get that Jordan was all about hangin tough in his acid wash jean jacket? Or that Donna Martin graduated only after all of West Bev walked out in honor of her and her drunken prom fiasco? I guess we will all have to stay tuned...

-elise

2 comments:

JayJay said...

I would like to see the 90's comback. I think we should bring back Al B. Sure. For all those who don't know, he is in effect mode.

As for NKOTB, I used to hate them because all the girls liked them. The funny thing is that I knew all the words.....

Trininuyawka said...

If we bring back Al B. Sure, we also need to bring back Keith Sweat and all his hootin' and hollerin'. And while we're at it, since he sang in New Jack City, we should also big up Nino Brown, Radio Raheem and Lance, who were all also in New Jack City. Oh yeah, and Pookie too.

Internet Coupons
Internet Coupons