Saturday, November 29, 2008

About that Peterbilt 387...


Jay, you are correct! That was the truck I worked on with Peterbilt down in Denton, Texas at my previous job with PTC. Racked up some serious frequent flyer miles over the course of a year on that project. Everytime I drive past one on the highway I still look over and stare at certain parts that I remember being a pain in the boomsey to work out in the CAD model. Unfortunately the name Chris Ito doesn't ring a bell. I only remember an Italian guy named "Louie" who was in charge of the design department at the time and wanted me to move down there and join Peterbilt. Imagine that...a trini down in Bush country? NOT!

Bonus trivia for anybody who's bored silly: Peterbilt is owned by a company called Paccar....which also owns another big truck company as well. The Peterbilt 387 shares it's cab (the area where the driver sits and sleeps) with a specific truck from this company. If you look closely at the picture below, you'll notice the cab is the same except for the roof and windshield sun visor. Can you guess the truck company?


Below is a computer rendering we did of the CAD data at the end of the project (that I used for my portfolio). Unlike the yellow truck above, this rendering shows the luxury step option below the driver's door.


1 comment:

JayJay said...

That was hard but I found it.

Pacific Car owns both Peterbilt and Kenworth. The truck in the picture is a Kenworth T2000. Until now, I didn't know they were related. I remeber the first time we saw a 387 - it was on the 401 and Chris commented about the vents on the side of the hood. From then, I could identify a 387. The T2000 is sans hood vents so I had no idea.... Live and learn....

I guess, without being mushy, I am really saying that I look up to you big cuz and I tell all my buddies the story about that truck every time I see it.

BTW, I invented the hood vent....

Internet Coupons
Internet Coupons