Thursday, November 6, 2008

YES!

Chris wanted to show me his diary blog last night when I was admittedly exhausted from all the build up and excitement from Tuesday. I wanted to read his chronicle at a spot where I could savor every word and reflect on what he said, and what I did in those hours leading up to and after CNN flashed "Barack Obama Elected President" on the big screen.

I took Bella into the voting booth. I was so proud for her to look at the button I wore under my jacket, pointing to it, saying "Obama." I was proud of her for (attempting)to turn the knobs for Barack and Joe (they're family now, right?). I felt proud when she pulled the lever to the right, hearing our votes be counted. I was cheesingly proud to smile for Chris' camera phone after voting with Bellie in my arms, thinking we had dome something monumental, no matter how small, and how little time it took. It made me think about all of those other people that actually had to wait in line to vote (and those who were whipped and beaten and laughed at for us to be able to vote). How could you NOT want to exercise that right?

I admit to fear when I saw McCain up 8 to 3. Was this the Bradley Effect for real? (I knew Tom Bradley and he was an incredible man for Los Angeles in the 1980's) I had to think, it's only Red states...it will get better. And man, boy did it. Barack was trouncing McCain and all I could do was listen and just not believe. I still didn't want to even utter it when it was pretty much inevitable, based on the lovely John King's magic map. Slowly seeing states that were previously Red go GLARINGLY Blue made it start to sink in. But, truth be told, I still am walking around thinking "Did this really happen? Is it true?" Everywhere I walk in Manhattan I see people and I can see the pride they have on their faces. Our normally stoic community is beaming with pride, like we were all living under a rainbow or something. Sure, I live in a predictably Blue state, but this man, this BLACK man, was able to turn states that were lily white into states that said their country is better than that, and that they needed to vote for someone who actually gets it.

Before we went to bed, I went in to check on Bellie. Touching her back, as I often do to make sure she is breathing, to tell her, for the first time that we have our first black president. It was incredible. Finally this country had done something right to leave behind for this generation of young ones, and for the generations to come.

Waking up yesterday was euphoric, and even as I walk around, in withdrawal from not being a slave to CNN much longer, I pridefully show off my Obama pin (not a fake, but one from MoveOn). I love seeing his pin on people's bags and hats and lapels. In past years, memorabilia like this has gone away soon after, on "Day After Election" Wednesday, but this time, people are showing it off with pride. Right now, I can't see putting my button away until a new one comes out.....in 2012.

Today, a few days later, my pride still beams, and Bellie is still saying Obama when I ask her who mommy and daddy voted for. We did it. And though some of us gave money, most of us (I hope) voted, and some of us just said hey, he could do the job, I feel like we all did it. We didn't log miles on a plane, criss crossing the country, talking in rain and wind and sun. We sat comfy at home watching it all on 24 hour news, but we all did it. Chris and I hugged knowing that this was OUR victory too.

A few days before the election I was reflecting with Chris that we are more liberal than our parents, and that our children will be even more liberal and tolerant than even we purport to be. Bella won't ever think twice about a woman as a formidable candidate (I'm talking Hill here.) and that of course, a black man can be president. And if Chris and I are blessed with a son in the future (sorry, no announcements here), he will always know, there is no limit for him as a black man...the only limit is his imagination.

I guess I have rambled on and on, but oh well. I still can't believe it's true.

No comments:

Internet Coupons
Internet Coupons