Wednesday, November 5, 2008

I am Barack Obama!




Hey All,
Yesterday was surprisingly one of the greatest days of my life. I didn't realize I was a sucker for this kind of thing but I am! I figured it out when I had to force myself to stop bouncing in my chair at work long enough to draw the picture. Don't get me wrong, I'm still wary, this could be a big old ploy to distract us from some real evil being done to some poor country somewhere. And I'm scared too : I wish they wouldn't put those children on that stage! It only takes one wacko sniper... But nevertheless. I feel good. I really do!
To quote my friend's four year old girl " I am Barack Obaaama, I am Barack Obaaaama!"

For those who don't visit facebook please read Ashley's words below. (I hope you don't mind Ashley, I couldn't help it girl!)
Janine.

Ashley's beautiful take on Nov 4th 2008

November 4th, 2008--An Election to Remember

Today at 5:11am
I'm not much of a writer and you guys may disagree with me all entirely, or may not even care, but those who I am sharing this with are important to me so I felt really compelled to give a brief take on my experience on November 4th, 2008. Hands down, today was one of the happiest days of my life. In an instant, my whole perception about my past, my present, and future changed--and changed for the better. It was not just the fact that someone I agreed with politically was elected into office; it was that a black man who I agreed with politically was elected into office. Someone sent me a very simple text today that was so plain, yet so powerful; "Rosa sat so Martin could stand. Martin stood so Obama could run. Obama ran so your children could fly." Run he did, and fly we will. What was even more spectacular about today is the fact that I was blessed to be at the most prominent HBCU in the nation to celebrate. On that rainy evening, we screamed, we laughed, we hugged and we cried. There wasn't a sad face to be found. Everyone, including myself, was making multiple phone calls to parents, friends, loved ones--any one they could get ahold of. We ran around campus, danced in the streets (literally), and shouted till we were horse.We were all dazzled over having just watched history be made right in front of our very eyes. I felt a sense of pride as I stood on the hallowed grounds of Howard University and thought of all those accomplished black men and women who walked this campus for decades in persuit of a good education to better themselves, their people, and their community. I am stunned when I think about where we have reached. It was a very moving experience to be among such a strong people and to feel that sense of accomplishment and commrodary. Barack Obama is a shining light, and I truly believe, in my heart, that with our support and sense of togetherness as a country, it can only get better from here. It won't be easy, it will take time, and he WILL make mistakes. But for the first time I feel so passionately about and I strongly believe in the new leader of our country. He has restored hope in blacks, whites, asians, hispanics and everyone else, nationally and globally. I mean, let's keep it real here, how often in history do people like that come along? The whole world was rooting for him. I put my faith in Barack Obama. God bless him, and God bless this country.

1 comment:

Trininuyawka said...

Beautiful drawing Janine! And a beautiful diary Ashley!

Internet Coupons
Internet Coupons