Tuesday, August 26, 2008

A First Lady I can relate to...

As I sat last night riveted by the words of Michelle Obama (as well as Ted Kennedy), I was struck at the prospect of a First Lady who I could relate to on so many levels. For as long as I've been interested in politics and been able to witness previous elections, I always felt that, some way, some how, The President and First Lady were so far removed from my own experiences. They always appeared rich and wealthy, elite and privileged. Vacationing at "retreats" and "ranches" oblivious to the typical American life and problems of average Americans. They had an air about them like if you sat down with them and had a conversation about daily struggles and childhood experiences, you'd stare right back at their blank faces. Or they'd patronize you making believe they understood your issues.

Then I listened to Michelle Obama's speech last night. She spoke about growing up with her older brother and he spoke about her memorizing Brady Bunch episodes. In that second, I connected with her in a way I never did with any other politician, much less a First Lady. We could instantly talk about how Marsha got slammed in the face with a football. Or recall the lyrics to "Keep On Movin'" or "It's A Sunshine Day". Then she spoke about coming home from the hospital with their first daughter Malia and Barack's anxiousness from the front seat while driving. And again I could relate to bringing Isabella home and feeling the weight of being a good father and raising a daughter of my own. She spoke about her mother helping to raise her kids and how she sees her mother in her daughters...and again I related. Finally, seeing the whole family on stage and hearing both Malia and Sasha say "I love you, Daddy" to Barack... although I can only hear "Dada" from Bella, I imagined the joy I would feel to hear those 4 words everyday after a long days work.

After hearing her speech, this election took on a more personal feeling for me. To see a family in the White House so close in similarities, experiences and values to my own is something I never thought I would witness. But there I was relating to Michelle as some lost relative instead of some detached stranger. Someone who I felt would have my best interest in mind more so then even Hillary. Now I understand the connection people may have had to JFK, and yes MLK too. You didn't know them personally, but you still felt a connection and a certain pride in them. To feel this connection to Michelle Obama...and Barack Obama as well... I am surprised in myself. And what a pleasant surprise it is.

For those who missed it, here's her 20 minute speech from last night's Democratic National Convention.

No comments:

Internet Coupons
Internet Coupons