Friday, August 1, 2008

Not unfortunate, let's say hapless...


So I finally made it back and managed to fix the damage to the traveller caused by travelling. The trip back was a study in contrasts. I literally went from sky high to sleeping in the dirt. Here's how it all went down:
I volunteered to leave an overbooked continental plane in exchange for $400 in air travel, first class the next morning and a stay in a hotel.
Conveniently after I stepped off the plane, this generous offer was downgraded to $400 bucks, first class travel and transport to and from the airport.
Landing in Newark the next morning the deal transformed into a 3 hr layover, a half lost half teefed camera.
The three hour layover evolved into a cancelled flight (due to weather) and a two hour wait standing in a giant line for re-accomodation.
The two hour wait morphed into an 11 wait. The airline was not obligated to provide me with accommodations as the cancellation was weather related. At this point, I wasn't willing to eat into my $400 dollar prize with hotel fare, so I decided to "overnight" at the airport. I slept on the floor(sans pillow and blanket which were "reserved for children and babies") And drowned my sorrows at the sbarro.
But don't cry for me Arima, I still managed to leave the ordeal with my travel gift certificate (a trip back to tobago?), my first flight in first class, a belly full of baked ziti and this drawing that I did while waiting in line.
It was inspired by one of the quieter members of the family who was my roommate for a portion of the reunion. I had a chance to pump him for information about the early Barrow family days. Maybe if he happens to see this post he could elaborate on what's happening here and if my interpretation is anywhere close.

9 comments:

sextonseven said...

Hey that's me! Okay, I don't know how old I was, maybe three, but staying at Ma's house in Mount Lambert, I remember these huge moths were all over the place and I swear they were going to eat me. And Ma was acting like it was no big thing! I was traumatized by the whole ordeal.

Trininuyawka said...

J9! You DO know that I work in New Jersey, right? I could have scooped you up on the way home from work! And they also have a shuttle from the airport to Port Authority. I guess you had to be there physically in order to get any kind of customer service. Hey, want to use that voucher for Carnival????? =o)

Oh yeah, that drawing is incredible! Aren't you illustrating for a book? How much to commision a self portrait of Elise, Bella and me in your particular style?

Sean, that's a spooky image you have for your profile. Was it influenced as well by your traumatization?

Trininuyawka said...

I was personally traumatized by a rogue bat mindlessly flying around upstairs at Antie Nancy's house. I was scared it would suck out my blood through my eyeballs.

Janine! said...

oh lordy, I didn't even see these responses. Blogger.com should notify you when somebody posts something new.
I didn't know u worked in New Jersey. And I think I was too broken after standing for 2 hours in a line that I wasn't sure I was even supposed to be in, to do anything but eat ziti and camp out on the floor.
send me a picture of you three if you can find any (hahahaha!)and I'll see what I can do. No money cuz.
At this point I'm doing it for my portfolio. But I can't tell you when it will be done either...

Janine! said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Janine! said...

I think I remember that bat. They caught it with a towel and it was all sticky.

JulieB said...

Janine I agree you should be able to know when there is a new comment. I asked the same question from the administrator and he set up a folder in my email so when new posts are made they appear in my email.

Anonymous said...

What about me ? I also have the same problem. As a DNN fan I would love to know when someone posts a comment.

Trininuyawka said...

Ask and you shall receive. Janine, Auntie Janet...you will be notified by E-mail when a new post or a new comment is added to the DNN blog. Keep an eye out for them, there may be a chance that it gets delivered to your Junk mail. I can give you further instructions via E-mail to set up a folder so all notifications automatically go to that folder (makes it easy to keep track of).

Internet Coupons
Internet Coupons